Pooginook aims to breed easy doing ewes that deliver high weaning percentages and weaning weights, whilst optimising wool production and adult body weight.
We look for moderate size ewes, that produce a high percentage of fast growing lambs. This is not just the ewe who falls pregnant with multiple foetus' but rather the ewe who also raises them to weaning with good body weight gain. Additionally, we balance this with a high fleece value and good doing ability. Her production output is analysed in relation to her adult body weight.
During 2018 - 2020 our 67kg (Standard Reference Weight) ewes delivered on average per year:
- 111% weaned on ewes joined for 5 weeks
- 28.3 kg of lamb at weaning (85 days)
- 8.5 kg of elite white wool at 19.5 micron
Within the maternal breeds, the industry refers to ewe efficiency in terms of:
Ewe efficiency = kg lamb weaned at 100 day / ewe joining weight
For example, Pooginook weaned later than normal in 2020, at 100 days due to wet weather. This particular year, the breeders weaned on average 69% of their own adult body weight, measured at the start of joining. Our top 500 ewes weaned 106% of their own adult body weight.
- Improved carrying capacity
- Improved $/DSE/Ha
- Improved $/ewe
- Ethical litter size to achieve good lambing results
- Improved rearing ability to improve lamb survival and welfare outcomes